Monday, March 23, 2009

Technology...

Okay, so this is not a running report. Saturday I did my Karate/Kickboxing combo so I will be running again tonight. But I thought I needed to get a couple things off my chest anyway.

The iPod
Okay so the last time I ran was in the days of the Walkman, you know, AM/FM Cassette all in one handy package. I did dabble in the world of the Discman, but this was early on and the anti-skip measures had not been perfected to the point one could run with one of these. Anyway, now like most I use an iPod. Now don't get me wrong, as a person who loves music iTunes and the iPod have changed my world forever for the good and I have never looked back...well until now.

I honestly have to say that running with an iPod doesn't compare to the old school Walkman. I mean sure it is lighter, smaller, has incredible capacity, digital quality and the ability to skip tracks with the simple press of a button. But when I run, I put together a playlist. I am not fishing around for songs, I start it and stop it when I am done. The thing that I find incredibly annoying while running is the volume control. Adjusting the volume on an iPod while running is near impossible, or at least for me. I look back at the Walkman and remember how simple the little thumb wheel was to adjust the volume on the fly and wish I could do that now!

Running Shoes
When I last ran, selecting a running shoe was simple, you had spikes, flats, and trainers. Training shoes were all pretty much the same, you found one that fit you the best and you went with it.

My current shoes are less then stellar, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get a good pair as the shoe is the only thing between me and getting some injury I don't need. After getting lost in the world of running shoes, I went to a store that specializes in them. I walked in and said I don't know how to pick out shoes. The next thing I know I am on a treadmill while someone watches my feet, then doing a variety of things all while my feet are under close watch. After a few minutes of this, the salesman had 5 different pairs of shoes for me to try. Each of these were ideal for the way I run and the shape of my feet. Part of me wants to say this is absolutely nuts and way overboard....but then I tried on a pain and it felt so incredible that I am just gonna go with it.

Put them all together
So the shoes I picked out just happen to be in the Nike Plus line. Meaning that I can throw a little sensor in the soul and connect this thing to my iPod and bam, I am recording distance speed and everything else. Not only that it is logging the data and charting it! Now this is technology I can sink my teeth into. Seriously, no more guessing how far I went, no more wondering how far I am from home. No more questioning the time I have spent running! The only downfall of this is no cheating. I cannot convince myself that a course was 5 miles when it is in fact 4...but considering why I am running and what I am trying to accomplish, I think that is a good thing too...I need to stay honest on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment